PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Best' helicopter to learn to fly in....
View Single Post
Old 27th Jun 2023, 18:55
Robbiee

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by hargreaves99
Mmm.. not really.

I have known people who get their PPL on a Cabri, then they want to fly a 4 seater (to take people up) and its taken then 15+ hours to get used to the R44! (ie an extra £8,000)

Even the transition from the R22 to the R44 often takes more than the 5 hours for new ppl holders

The R22/Cabri is fine if you just want to diddle around the local area with 1 passenger, anything more than that (ie going somewhere in comfort/speed) and the R44 wins, so in my opinion it's best to do your PPL on the R44, so there are no extra costs after the PPL

the
The R44 is really just a big R22, so it really doesn't take much time in it to be all that comfortable. Sure, it took me about 50 hours to stop rocking it slightly in a hover because of the lack of feedback from the hydraulic cyclic, but so what?

Anyway, I don't know about the UK, but its certainly cheaper to get your ppl.in the 22, then get an additional 10 hours in the 44 for the PIC endorsement, than doing it all in the 44.

,...but hey, if you've got stacks of money burning a hole in your pocket, sure, go with the 44 from the get go, lol.

I honestly don't know why anyone would choose the Cabri if their goal.is to fly family and friends around?