PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Madness
Thread: Easyjet Madness
View Single Post
Old 25th Jun 2023, 16:17
Count of Monte Bisto

Received 352 Likes on 115 Posts
Some wise words here. To clarify, I am not saying easyJet is perfect, but it is definitely near the top end of what is out there, with all its limitations. I have known EpsilonVaz for many years and he is a widely-respected captain here. I also understand that what is good at one point of life is not necessarily good at another stage of one's career. Also, there are times when a particular offer seems quite attractive, when all the stars appear line up at a particular moment in time. There is also a power in just starting afresh and going somewhere new - I fully get that. There is no perfect answer as to where to work, but we all know when we are in the wrong place! Those of you who think things are bad should take a look at the parallel thread on Yemenia - it would make a glass eye water! Within any airline, each person's individual experience of that particular company can also be very different. Furthermore, life events outside of work can have a huge effect on our perception of work life at the time. I am 18 months from retirement and have thoroughly enjoyed my time here. I cannot speak for the current key players out there at the moment - Ryanair, Jet2, Virgin, BA, Emirates, Qatar etc. Each has their own 'flavour', but I would, however, urge caution here. I am aware this is the 'Terms and Endearment' section on PPRuNe and many of the people reading this are at the beginning of their careers and not the end.

My advice, such as it is, would be as follows. First do not pay much attention to people in their first couple of years at a new company, particularly if they are relatively new to aviation. They basically do not know anything and are still flush with a sense of wonderment and delight at their achievements! To be a professional airline pilot is indeed a great achievement, but it is a hard road over a lifetime. If I was to use one word to describe working full-time for any LCC it would be 'relentless'. That one word says it all - a couple of summers at Gatwick will soon flush out any sense of thrill at your lot! There will be an endless litany of roster changes, delays, working into days off, yob passengers, frustrating management emails, more delays etc, etc. It starts as a genuine adventure, but that gradually (and it is a gradual thing) wears off and takes its toll. Therefore, you need to realise that part-time is really the only way not to have your health ruined by your mid-fifties (or possibly earlier). We are simply not designed to work for long, long hours at all times of the day and night. It is fundamentally unhealthy and requires enormous self-discipline to eat well, sleep well and keep at an appropriate level of fitness. Training and being in the sim has helped me stay sane, but I am still genuinely so glad to have done this job. I do, however, recognise the difficulties of a life in a hard-working airline. From what I can tell, BA shorthaul or any of the other short haul companies is really not a whole lot better. Sure, it is a great job, but do not do it for the money. Get part-time as soon as you can and work to live rather than live to work.

Anyway, that is my view and others are more than welcome to chip-in. We are a great airline here at easyJet. However full-time work is relentless - that is the nature of what we do and will never change. I love flying the A320 series - magnificent machines! The Boeing guys (for reasons I have never fully understood ) love their steeds as well - after a while, however, an aircraft is an aircraft, the mystique evaporates and you just get to know it very well. I am fortunate to work with great people and that is what makes my day fun. However, too much of a good thing is just that - too much. Get part-time and realise there is whole world out there beyond the airline you work for. Here endeth the lesson!