PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Recruiting
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2023, 08:03
RARA9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PilotRichard
Hi All,

Apologies for the long winded comment.

For context I’m a young(ish) FO, made redundant by a certain poorly run uk regional airline. I’ve a start date as an SO with VAA later this year, and have assessments with Tui and potentially others.

I’m instructing for the time being to see me through till VAA, and by no means do I want to come across as ungrateful of my situation, I’m extremely chuffed I’ve got a job to go to.

That being said, I find my self indecisive about where I want to end up, for what I hope is a career job. I never saw myself going LH this soon, as I view it as unfulfilling in comparison to SH and would like to be home more often than not. That being said my biggest worry and possibly my main gripe is job security (term used lightly given the sh1thousery of this industry), probably a paranoia grown from a double whammy of redundancies. I’m not asking for anything directly, just if anyone had any honest guidance/advice or insight into these companies and/or this point in my career. Thanks lads/Ladettes
I think it’s a very sensible thought process.
I think no airline is “safe” but some obviously safer than others ….
Virgin supposedly a seniority based airline showed their true colours during covid with an absolutely shocking display if any other virus/downturn happens be braced for a kick out the door.
LH isn’t what it was as most airlines are shortening trip lengths when they can. I know many routes on the 777 at BA which are now just 1 nighters . Mates at Virgin saying the same thing. By all means fly a large jet ! It is fun for a while …. But ultimately it’s just another Jet . Lifestyle should be number 1 factor I think followed by cash/risk.
just my thoughts …