PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Easyjet Madness
Thread: Easyjet Madness
View Single Post
Old 16th Jun 2023, 01:17
Uplinker

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts
Yeah. The moral high-ground suggests not paying for any of your training or type ratings.

And you would be right - in an ethical context.

But the World has changed. There are low cost airlines now, and even the old guard, legacy airline passengers are saying "hang on......why are we paying £259 when we could pay £59 to another airline to fly to the same city? (Let's face it; some of the LOCOs do a much better and more efficient job than some of the legacy folks. Not saying it's right, but they do) ......The genie is out of the bottle and cannot be put back in.

So......do the maths. OK, it might take up to £125k to get into the RHS of a B737 or A320 in an airline, but how long would it take to repay that from an airline pilot employment position, versus flying around in a C172 or a C406 for years and years and hoping to land an airline job with a CPL?

I don't agree with it either - and, as a very experienced and type rated pilot, I rejected easyJet's "offer" of a non UK base and paying them £8,000 to revalidate my lapsed Airbus A320 rating; but if you are a cadet with no experience, it is the way of the World - think of the hundreds of thousands of university students, having to pay for their own degree courses.