PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Hand, or rope, starting your aircraft
View Single Post
Old 4th Jun 2023, 22:57
First_Principal

Received 49 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by pithblot
First Principal
FP,
VH-MMA is possibly the -3 that you are thinking of? It was General McArthur’s transport in the Pacific for a time.

Stretching the memory a bit, the Flight Manual of Air Norths DC3s (VH-CAN being the other) had the Rope Start instructions, including rope around the prop done that Mach mentions.
​​​​​​​
Thanks for the suggestion, however my memory (of admittedly dubious ability!) is pretty sure it was VH-CAN. What I've found on line seems to line up with said memory; if I were to take a further leap I think she (she was always a 'she' to us was produced in 1944, and I don't recall any talk about Gen McArthur. The feeling I have is that her Pacific service was carried out without any particular drama, but if anyone had any further information I'd be pleased to hear it.

Otherwise interesting that your manuals showed the rope start around the boss. My recollection is that the prop pitch mechanism was located under that cover, and that it wasn't particularly strong, but it's been a long time since I was up close and personal with one so perhaps it'd stand a rope start with aplomb!

FP.
The following users liked this post: