PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Can Wigston survive the onslaught?
View Single Post
Old 1st Jun 2023, 19:24
Finningley Boy

Received 77 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by minigundiplomat
Sorry LB, but I have zero respect for that man. We all like to poke fun at the commissioned end of the RAF, but I witnessed some amazing talent over my time, which makes it even more mind boggling that such an insipid, hollow and vacuous individual was promoted to that role and allowed to instigate so much damage without being stopped.
Ok, this might say more about my own shallowness than anything else, but I've always regarded the armed forces as most likely to attract a certain mind set and outlook. Someone who makes it through from CIO to a frontline Tornado Squadron alone, would, one expect be an entirely different character to that of ACM Sir Mike Wigston? I'm not saying we should expect all senior officers and professional military men to be from a single mould and to tailor fit all expectations. But that Wigston has seemingly made such an effort to embrace what can best be described as radical progressive Liberal thinking, it seems somewhat incompatible with his chosen career. Having said that this effort to be associated with progressive thinking isn't that new, other service chiefs recently, but not all and it certainly isn't an on going trend, have drifted away from the more conservative image of the armed forces of the past, is it all simply about a dearth in sufficient recruitment or accommodating government, indeed civil service, craving to see a society which has no stereotypical images certainly in some professions? Perhaps it is my fashioned thinking from the 1970s and before with a father who served in the second world war?

FB