PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Birmingham-8
Thread: Birmingham-8
View Single Post
Old 30th May 2023, 10:32
LessThanSte

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ZULUBOY
Apologies for my very basic aviation terminology but a few years ago there was talk about all flights turning left instead of right when they departed from runway 33 ( I know the Canaries flights normally do the left turn). My MP made a big fuss about the extra pollution this would cause for her constituents in the Edgbaston area.

Did this get binned or is there still a plan for this to happen?
There is a standard departure route (BRUMI) from runway 33 which turns left over the motorway, left again roughly over M6 J6 then over ~Bournville. So it could be used. There's also an allowance to carry out Noise Preferential Routings by turning left or right 2 miles after takeoff from r33. The vast majority of departures turn right over the M6, though.

See eAIS Package United Kingdom (nats.co.uk), under Aerodromes - EGBB.

Incidentally, a lot of aircraft turn right on a r15 takeoff then pass directly over Solihull - which isn't in the standard departures or NPRs. Its often been when there was a storm floating around south of the airport, but doesnt seem to be that case exclusively (i've seen it when the skies are clear 15 minutes after a storm passed...). Not sure why that happens, but does cause a brief startle in town centre...