PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin Recruiting
View Single Post
Old 27th May 2023, 09:18
Dragon Baron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hugmie
I'd be really grateful to hear from any experienced FO's who made the switch to VA for long term RHS gig. Im mid 30s, single, approaching command on 320 ULCC. Were you happy with your decision, do you ever look back and wish you had given SH command a go?

Part of me tells me to take the command while I can get it, get some hair on the proverbial knuckles, as well as future proof the CV for any turbulence down the road. So if I get made redundant or something at VA, I'll be able to apply for 320 Command positions rather than FO. That option would mean staying where I am for next two years. Also I feel giving up command now will mean I don't see it for several years, whichever company I end up going to, even if I move to another 320 operator for example. I fly with a lot of captains 10 years my senior who were FOs for many years, from ME3 or similar, and they all came to my company solely for command. Which is telling

On the other hand, maybe I should just bite the bullet now and not put command on a pedestal. Take the wide body experience, solid salary, pension scheme, and being part of a 'proper' airline. And hopefully end up LHS on a wide body before I retire! NO idea how I would adapt to Long haul, I have to think it would be less tiring than entering discretion a few times per month, 4 sector days etc.

I've read the thread, understand this has already been discussed in some detail, but appreciate any opinions!

Regards
I've been through all this sort of thing and with the benefit of hindsight, I can say that for me all that matters is money in my bank and time spent at home. I gave up my first opportunity for command to go and scratch the wide body itch as an FO. It was fun but I prefer being a narrow body skipper on a decent money and home every week with no jet lag. Time spent in hotels down route works for some but after a dozen times in the same place it soon wears thin. I'd take the highest pay as soon as you can get it. Make hay while the sun shines...