PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Want a job?
Thread: Want a job?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2023, 12:13
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
Originally Posted by 43Inches
I do like the comparison of Cessna 400 series to 777, it is so accurate. I mean the Cessna 421 for instance has had 24 accidents following engine failure, 12 involving fatalities. Now how many 777 have been lost due to a single engine failure, I reckon quite a few failures have happened including some on take-off roll, some with spectacular sparks and flames. But I'm pretty sure they all climbed away quite easily and returned to land after a few checks. As said before there seams to be a disconnect in education if you think the certification of these two aircraft is mildly related. Also the 15/35/50 ft clearance requirements are before you adjust for margins, but I'm sure you know that. A C421 wouldn't even have the performance on one engine to apply a margin. I wonder how many C400 (or any other piston twin) pilots would be told 'sit on their hands' following an engine failure after take-off to assess fully what is happening.
The ‘sit on your hands’ ethos was being taught in jet transport operations as far back as the 1970’s.
My first experience in real simulators was the BAC 1-11. After the DC 3 it was quite a culture shock.
When we got to the engine failure session, the crusty old Pommy TRE advised me that the safest way to deal with engine failure was to get the gear up and immediately engage the autopilot, sit on hands, have a good look around and then very SLOWLY do the fire or failure drill. Quite different to how we had been brought up on pistons to get the crook engine feathered Right. Bloody. Now.
With advances in automation, I suspect the B777 systems take care of things even better than the old BAC 1-11 did.
I never got operational on the 1-11 due to the airline deferring delivery of one airframe. Compensation prize was left seat HS 748. Another easy to fly machine, with auto feather, nice control harmony and decent ergonomics that allowed one to sit on hands.
Returning to the original question; with our blue skies and sun constantly beating down on our heads, Australian operators may finally be realising all those moon landings are not really necessary.

Last edited by Mach E Avelli; 25th May 2023 at 21:58. Reason: Return to theme : is 3000 hours enough to command a B737?
The following users liked this post: