PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineering Challenges Facing New VTOL Aircraft
Old 21st May 2023, 22:13
SplineDrive

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by wrench1
If referring to the proposed airworthiness criteria published in the federal register a while back that was a procedural requirement and is not the final certification basis document. 10 to 1 those conventional requirements like autorotation ability, or its equivalent, will not survive in the final eVTOL certification basis in lieu of other methods or revised criteria.

I thought Jaunt is pursuing a Part 27/29 certification?
Yes, Jaunt is pursuing a more conventional certification. As for eVTOL platforms and the common lack of autorotation and/or glide capabilities, why should the flying public tolerate aircraft that are missing such a fundamental safety feature or it's equivalent? And will insurers tolerate that?

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...c-model-jas4-1

It's my understanding that this is the agreed to certification basis for the Joby S4 and it agrees to modify existing language and create a new definition of "emergency controlled landing".

JS4.2105
(f) Continued safe flight and landing must be possible from any point within the flight envelope following a critical loss of thrust not shown to be extremely improbable.

(g) The aircraft must be capable of a controlled emergency landing, after loss of power or thrust, by gliding or autorotation, or an equivalent means, to mitigate the risk of loss of power or thrust.

My read is that (g) means the aircraft can protect the passengers in a power off landing, though means other than gliding or autorotation can be acceptable (like a ballistic chute). Might be a market opening for chute solutions that work at low altitudes and airspeeds.

We'll see. All these ships have a long road to certification.