PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineering Challenges Facing New VTOL Aircraft
Old 20th May 2023, 14:33
SplineDrive

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by helispotter
60FltMech: I'll enjoy reading posts prompted by your thread.

I had been reading posts in the threads "Hill Helicopters HX50", "Marenco Swiss Helicopter" and "new gyroplane". These are start-up ventures, or began that way. That seems brave nowadays. The competition in the market and required finances are perhaps greater challenges than any engineering challenges they will face.
Aside from the technology involved, which is hard enough, you're right that the finances required to get a certified product in customer hands and have the stability to support a growing fleet is often an even more daunting task. Most, if not all, these start ups and eVTOL firms really don't know the paperwork ****storm they're running into when they try and get a new aircraft certified by a brand new company without any institutional history, data, processes, process controls, etc. I honestly don't think a new company will be held to the same standards as an established OEM... what the cert authorities put the existing OEMs through seems like an insurmountable bar if you're starting from square zero.
The following users liked this post: