PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do? Any thoughts or advice.
View Single Post
Old 19th May 2023, 23:24
Uplinker

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts
I changed career into airline flying at age 35, (in the UK). I left my previous good job when they wanted volunteers to leave. I received a settlement and had some savings. Also had a wife and young child at home to support. I decided that I did not have much time, so enrolled at a flight school and did a full time integrated ATPL. I did the sums first, and with my savings, could pay the mortgage and the bills, even while I was not earning for the best part of 2 years.

I was successful, flying-wise, but went through divorce, because the first airline job took too much out of our relationship.

So it is possible, but with certain caveats.

Question: what sort of flying do you actually want to do? I personally prefer the "coffee and shirtsleeves" sort: flying big modern airliners for airlines. But with your present income, you could possibly part-own a turbine twin, Pitts Special, or helicopter, or lease them for fun flying, without the airline treadmill of 0300 wake-ups, and six days on, two days off, four sector days. (Which will eventually ruin your health or relationships).

Think long and hard. And as someone said, think long and hard about children.