PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Schaffner Lightning incident in news
View Single Post
Old 15th May 2023, 09:06
John Nichol

Received 81 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by John Rogers
John Nichol's latest book 'EJECT, EJECT' tells the story nicely so I won't repeat it here except that the UFO story is just that - a story. It's a moving part oif the Book which is replete with moving stories. I read John's book over this last weekend and it's excellent and 'NO' I'm not on commission, or a relative! I was lucky to get an advanced copy as it isn't available till 25 May (£20, by Simon & Schuster). It will be available everywhere, inc independent bookshops (which may have signed copies) &https://www.amazon.co.uk/Eject-John-...2580927&sr=8-1

If you thought the Ejection Seat was a British invention of the post-war period then the book will correct that misconception. Moreover, John doesn't dwell at all on his own story but tells the story of the development of the 'bang seat' through tales of ejectees over the decades. And he doesn't just tell the stories of how they came to need to eject - or be ejected - as he deals with the aftermath of the events, the life changing or life-affirming nature of the events on the ejectees and their families.
As some of the publicity blurb says John Nichol 'tells the incredible story of the ejection seat through the dramatic and moving stories of those who used it, Becausepulling the yellow-and-black ejection handle is just the start of the story', and I couldn''t agree more.
Thank you for the kind words. Needless to say I don't write the Mail headline.... But the full story is indeed told in EJECT! EJECT! - I interviewed Michael Schaffner's 2 sons about their experiences, AM Sir Chris Coville who was launched to investigate and his wife who went to the Schaffner house. I used correspondence from the Shackleton pilot & the Squadron Commander. More importantly, I interviewed his widow about that terrible day, and the following weeks and months. This tragedy shaped the experiences of the family for 30+ years.
Because as I say in the book - ejecting is just the start of a journey.
The following 10 users liked this post by John Nichol: