PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mobile Phones in flight - again (merged)
View Single Post
Old 16th Jan 2004, 19:18
natus82

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MOBILE PHONE RESPONSE

Well people i'm the sad boy who started all this,

The CAA have evidence proving that mobile phones affect aircraft in flight, it mostly affects the navigational systems but it has been known to have other affects such as the fire alram in the hold.
The danger is only a real danger at an apparent distance of 30 cm to the wires or instrumentation, at any other distance there was very little dange of interference.
I myself left my phone on when i went to Ibiza, i did genuinely forget but when we landed i had 3 messages that i'd recived during the flight, evidently the plane didn't crash and i'm still here.
But be warned anyone wanting to keep it turned on during flight will get there arses whooped, recently a man got 8 months jail time for refusing to turn his phone off on a UK filght, i think the maximum time is 2 years imprisonment.
I personally think that there is no danger with just a handful of people carrying phones, but the problem arises when everyone could be using a phone at once, then there could be problems.......it's all or nothing