PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USCG aborted rescue possible microburst
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2023, 13:01
albatross

Received 156 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
Albatross,

I flew that Sim Scenario as the victim and as the Instructor......lots of times.

It is an attention getter.

As to the CRM thing of having the Non-Handling Pilot handle the Collective.....could be a blessing and a curse.

How would you structure the CRM technique, procedure, control, and determination of who moves the collective and in what manner and to what extent would take some serious thought and structure.

Bottom line question....some of these aircraft are flown Single Pilot IFR....Bell 412's for instance.....are we saying a Single Pilot is not capable of controlling the aircraft that such a CRM Technique would be required if there was a second Pilot?

I might not be a hard headed as that Checkf Pilot that took complete refusal but I would ask that the justification be well sourced and it be proven such a procedure be needed and structured for the maximum safety and minimum risk of complications that could pose additional risks.
SASless
Please understand I was and am not advocating that the PNF handle the collective in normal ops.
I too have flown 212/412 single pilot.
In this specific case I was getting rapidly “task saturated” and saw the PNF maintaining 100% Q as a way to let me better concentrate my limited skills on maintaining Vbroc, heading ect. I was still monitoring Q in my scan. The PNF kept it nailed and it helped in this particular case. The PNF was a resource to make things easier and I used him. He understood what I was attempting to do and happily complied…there was no time to brief it. It was a spur of the moment call.