PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USCG aborted rescue possible microburst
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2023, 21:57
albatross

Received 157 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by [email protected]
Yup, a great job in sh*tty conditions
Many moons ago: At the FSI sim at Bell they took us, as a training exercise at the end of the day, through the Delta 191 accident Wind-Shear /Downburst crash WX in a 212.

We were 2 Captains flying as a crew and I was the Pilot Flying.
As things when rapidly pear-shaped going down the ILS into the shear/downburst. ( I would have liked to see the sim actions from outside…we were bouncing around pretty good ). I asked the PNF to take control of the collective and maintain 100% Q as I tried to maintain best climb wings level, straight ahead at 58 knots.
We managed to fly straight ahead out of it.
The instructor said he had never seen a crew divide control like that. He thought it was good CRM which he would share with others. Apparently a lot of crews did not manage to fly out of it. He asked where I had learned that.
I told him I got the idea from DC-3 crews I had flown with who did that on takeoff. ( Later on I watched a WW2 USAAF training film on the B-26 Marauder and they used the same technique so I guess it was far from a new idea.)
What made me think to do it at that time I have no idea.
My concern was as we bounced around was I would over-torque a bit and get into Torque limiting. Some of the 212s I had flown had torque limiting set way too low. 102-103%.

We later told a Check Pilot about it he maintained that the PF was to manipulate Cyclic, Pedals and Collective at all times and he would fail the rides of any crew who did that.
I guess he thought the PNF’s function was to be an interested spectator and contribute nothing more to events than fervent prayer and childish screams.

The following 4 users liked this post by albatross: