PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Professional Pilot USA vs EU
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2023, 20:27
Michimax17

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bafanguy
EU flight time does count towards FAA ATP flight-time requirements.

I didn't previously go deep into the issue in the interest of keeping my answer basic. But most of the people who come to the US to get an FAA license appear to have heavy airplane experience and usually take the FAA check ride in an airplane type they've flown previously. This makes it easier for them as you might imagine. And it also reduces the amount of sim time to prep for the check ride hence reducing cost. These "courses" are sort of tailored to each candidate depending on circumstances vs a full type rating syllabus for a person with no time in type.

This would be one example: https://www.panamacademy.com/type-rating-training/

A person can also take the ATP flight test in a light twin in lieu of a large airplane. For a person with previous flight time I'd imagine the necessary number of hours prep time to get ready for the flight test would vary with each person's level of comfort and performance. It'd give the ATP and ME rating.
Thanks, according to your american perspective, how long do you think would that process of "coversion" for a major airline take? Around a few months? I've heard that it can go quiet quick...