PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Viscount - performance issues.
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2023, 10:19
Airbanda

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by bean
Mooncrest.
The 1971 Northeast summer timetable shows many Viscount 806x flights to the Channel Islands departing on various days between 11:45 and 14:25
BKS/Northeast/BA flew a scheduled service from LBA to both Guernsey and Jersey from the opening of 15/33 until they pulled out altogether. Saturday and Sunday in the peak season saw the schedules augmented by additional services some of which were, I think, IT charters.

That tailed off by the late seventies, whether as a result of BA changes or the beginning of the end for the Channel Isles as a mainstream holiday destination I do not know. Both Dan Air with 748s and later leased Viscounts and Air UK picked up the slack later.

I lived in Guiseley, somewhat further out along 28's extended centre line than Yeadon, and was very much aware of Viscounts etc using 28 in strong westerlies along with the 748, F-27 and occasional piston engined machines such as BAF Carvairs etc . Noisiest I think was an Aer Turas DC-7. These and later their C-54 EI-ARS were usually carrying racehorses for Doncaster, Wetherby etc.

Wasn't there to see it myself but there was one occasion when a Britannia 737 positioning in from Luton landed on 10 in a strong easterly.