PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vickers Viscount - performance issues.
View Single Post
Old 27th Apr 2023, 11:49
chevvron

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by GAXLN
I recall landing R28 on a BMA Viscount flying in from LHR one morning. Would have been very early 80’s. Was noticeable by being different scenery below me on the approach.
Flew to Sumburgh from Glasgow on 6 Sep 1972 in G-AOHR (BE8012); had to stand all the way as there was no jump seat.
We landed on runway 27 there even though it was only about 900m in those days (before it was re-configured with ILS etc); bounced slighly thus lengthening an already short LDA; captain said 'ooh you cow' and slammed it firmly on the ground.
I remember as we did a 180 at the end of the runway, I was able to look straight down into the water at the seals gazing up at us.
A couple of weeks later, (I was there on detachment for 4 weeks) I returned from lunch to see a piece of paper on the controller's desk with '160/18' written on it. Asked the Manager what this was for; he replied that the Viscount captain had been up to watch the wind dials for a while and this was the wind speed/direction I was to pass to enable the departing aircraft to take off.
More than that I'm not saying.