PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Foreign pilots now allowed to apply for a Green Card?
Old 27th Apr 2023, 09:34
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by FalseGS
For pilots who have never worked previously with US carriers how do they navigate the PRIA requirements?

I dunno if that's the right term. But with no previous verifiable training and checking records, is that considered a disadvantage by the recruitment algorithms?

Seeing how competitive the field of candidates is, would this filter out new entrants into the US job market?

FGS,

IIUC, the PRIA request is only made after a pilot has been given a job offer and is part of the processing to begin employment. It has to be completed before a pilot "begins service as a pilot" or words to that effect. I don't think an airline jumps this hurdle for every applicant as part of the application process. And I think "begins service" means actually flying the line rather than starts training. But I assume an airline wants this PRIA/PRD stuff done before you start new-hire school. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

As for foreign pilots, there is an exception under PRIA:

"3.5.2 Good Faith Exception. You may allow an individual to begin service as a pilot 30 calendar-days after submitting the request without first obtaining information from a previous employer that has gone out of business, is in bankruptcy, or is a foreign government or operator that employed the individual if you make a documented attempt to obtain such information."

"5.7.1 PRIA Check. If you want to hire a pilot/applicant who has worked as a pilot for a foreign air carrier, you should request that individual’s PRIA records from the foreign carrier."

1. 6.2.2 Terms Related to a Professional Pilot’s Employment.
    1. Placed into Service. Upon completion of the required company training, a pilot is released for service to begin performance as a pilot, usually under the supervision of a chief pilot or a training captain, for the prescribed period of time or flight hours. Under PRIA, a pilot cannot be placed into service until the hiring employer has requested, received, and evaluated the required records requested under PRIA, unless a good faith or other exception applies.

Advisory Circular 120-68G, June 21, 2016 (1 MB, PDF)

The whole thing is in transition from PRIA to the Pilot Records Database (PRD) and I haven't researched it to see if PRD is different from PRIA in that regard. I'd be surprised if it was:

"Operators currently comply with PRIA. Continued use of PRIA is required to support a successful transition to PRD. By September 9, 2024, the FAA intends to complete the transition from PRIA to PRD."

https://www.federalregister.gov/docu...cords-database

Last edited by bafanguy; 27th Apr 2023 at 12:35.