PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Nosegear Collapse
View Single Post
Old 15th Apr 2023, 22:11
blind pew

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Simulators are only as good as the programming often on what investigators think happen.
I nearly ended up in the black forest in a new md81 after a max take off on rwy 34 zrh after we hit a massive temperature inversion with a negative windshear of 23 knots reported by a mate on a 310 who had just taken off on 28. The skipper went for the recent procedure for downdraft of pitch and full power which didn't work as we had lost too much speed..I overrode the stick to descend and accelerate.
I was taught to forecast world meteorology in 1970..I've flown most civil types including paragliding off slieve binnian today..one of the guys crashed into the slope. The atmosphere is unpredictable..if your employer if it is the DAA,.was serious then they should invest in a geo stationary drone which would give soundings between the surface and say 1500ft. I've tried to get a cheap small one for safety for paragliding.
I once hit wake turbulence on short finals on 28L lhr with a light headwind from a 747 a long way in front..I guessed that there was a tailwind but sea breeze at low level ..I decided to land long but the skipper overruled and we went around..same thing on next approach..this time he allowed me to set up a normal 3 degree approach with an aiming point further in. Whilst highly trained our company had a common sense approach to anomalies that happen.At that stage I had 12 years plus rhs jets.. one can't expect young pilots having been taught on machines using binary codes to understand the real world.
Simulation has its place.but...