PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Professional Pilot USA vs EU
View Single Post
Old 14th Apr 2023, 15:36
bafanguy

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Michimax17
After my Frozen ATPL licence here, with a greencard, do you think, US Airlines would hire me? I know that they do not hire just foreign pilots without the legal right to live and work. But if I was a european pilot with a greencard? And would they be ok that I didn't have a university degree...
Michael,

I can't answer all your questions. But I can say that US airlines certainly hire green card holders. You'd need an FAA ATPL in every case at an FAR Part 121 carrier. Some regionals have provided that for foreign nationals in the past but I don't know if they''re doing that now (I suspect not). Otherwise you'd have to get one on your own...a bit expensive. And you'd need the 1500 hours total time except for those universities offering reduced hour requirements for their graduates to get a restricted-ATPL. And the r-ATPL raises the question of whether airlines hire those with only a r-ATPL. Maybe some do but I don't know for sure.

The tricky part is that these parameters/requirements can change in short order so it's hard to give a solid answer that'll stand the test of time. Wish I knew more.