PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - HAA fatal 4-2-23 Alabama EC-130
View Single Post
Old 4th Apr 2023, 16:23
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
If you go to street view of that address at google maps and look in the other direction than in the posted photo you will see a power line crossing he Road that is quite low to the ground (normal minimum height for such lines must be 13' 6" by standard requirements) that appears to be the service line to that address.

The main line appears to be on the uphill wooded edge parallel to the roadway with the one line crossing perpendicular to the main line.

With all of the open pasture land adjacent to the roadway and the trees on both sides of the road.....why would a landing LZ have been set up on the road and not in the adjacent field?

I have made many such landings and even. had the Ground Units set one up on the road I would have requested they send one ground vehicle down the driveway into the open area....do a required recon (part of which is looking for the presence of wires and other obstructions) and I would have have them park a vehicle on the driveway opposite the direction from which the Patient would be arriving.

Until we know more about all this then we are merely pontificating upon the cause.

What is interesting is the fact that there was a fire of some significance that very could have a role in the survivability of the crash.

Did this aircraft have crashworthy fuel cell(s)? What caused the fire and how was it fueled....Jet fuel, O2 or some other flammable material?

To which I add- have a vehicle parked under any wires crossing the road near proposed landing.
The following 2 users liked this post by Devil 49: