PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working on public holidays
View Single Post
Old 31st Mar 2023, 02:23
PoppaJo

Received 295 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Seaeagle109
Pretty sure that pilots get 6 weeks annual leave, instead of the society standard 4 weeks, because we work on public holidays without extra compensation. The amount of public holidays roughly equates to 10 working days, hence the 2 extra weeks.

So, if you want to decline to work on public holidays, I guess that employers will want to reduce annual leave back to 4 weeks.
Potentially an allowance for working a PH might come into play. My other half gets an allowance (roughly $400 extra) if her day on by chance falls on a PH, and she chooses to work it (up to her), otherwise they just get the day off and standard pay.

The model around staff volunteering to work PH’s is probably beyond many rostering departments to organise. Generally these periods are the busiest for airlines and travel, and generally the times staff just don’t want to work either. I am sure many will sacrifice 2 weeks leave to have those peak period off, I sure would, wouldn’t mind the Easter long weekend off, yet I am stuck working Friday to Monday.
The following users liked this post: