PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AUKUS
Thread: AUKUS
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2023, 22:26
tartare

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Asturias56
Why would China hit targets in Australia - its further away than Finland. I think Rota in Spain is closer to China than Darwin.
Not sure if you're being ironic but in case not - for those not familiar with the detail, there is every likelihood that in the event of a conflict over Taiwan, the US would seek to disperse to bases in the top end of Australia.
US Air Force assets already rotate through RAAF bases here (B-52s, B-2s, B-1s, F-22s etc have all visited).
There are also 1,000+ US marines in Darwin (correct me if I'm wrong on latest numbers).
I have seen suggestions that Australia could suddenly face a request by the US to host upwards of 250,000 troops.
In addition, Pine Gap near Alice Springs would be critical in monitoring any conflict - it downlinks SIGINT and IMINT from US satellites that watch the region - and sends it back to Fort Meade and Chantilly.
Harold E Holt Naval Communications Station near Exmouth in WA is also crucial in providing very low frequency coms to US and Australian submarines.
And JORN, the Jindalee over the horizon radar network uses large transmitter, receivers at various locations in remote Australia , which can effectively watch air and sea-surface activity reportedly to Indonesia - possibly further.
I'd suggest that if China was really serious about taking Taiwan, it would either target some or all of these facilities pre-emptively with conventional strikes, or it would consider doing so as part of second, or third wave strikes.
I think it's unlikely it'd break the taboo and use nuclear weapons.
All of these mainland Australia locations are easily within range of the DF-4 and DF-31.
There is also ongoing interdiction or partial blockade of our sea lanes (how many days of petrol do we have in reserve?!) and sabotage of undersea cables to consider.
If a war looks likely in the South China sea - then Australia definitely is a potential target for discrete Chinese strikes on some or all of these facilities, not Australian urban centres, or a land invasion by Chinese ground forces as Keating alludes to.
He knows that, and is being disingenuous in implying otherwise.

Last edited by tartare; 17th Mar 2023 at 02:12.