PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American controllers and airports
View Single Post
Old 14th Jan 2004, 16:04
Jim Morehead

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott and Mike...thanks for the info. Coming into LAX tonight everything was ENTIRELY NORMAL! Actually it was interesting landing on 24R was that the controller never issued speed control nor gave an idea of how long the VFR final would be. More often than not, there are suggestions, statements, and/or cues to figure it out. Tonight there wasn't. It was a good operation tonight in LAX.

Another interesting thing happened about 3 and 6 hours (of 11) into the flight. we got severe turbulence in a 747-400 which you rarely experience. We were using CPDLC and EVA couldn't hold altitude. We were 1,000 below him in RSVM airspace and the controller directed us to descend another thousand feet to 330 just to protect the altitude. Severe turbulence is not fun. it was caused by fronts,big temp changes, and wind shifts. Objects are flying around the cockpit and the airspeed is jumping around causing everything from stall warnings to overspeed. I had more turbulence last night of the severe variety than in the last 20 years.

I'll check out the other website.

Now they ain't gonna beat up on me and make me number last, are they????