PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 106 @ JFK (13 Jan 23)
View Single Post
Old 12th Mar 2023, 05:00
Compton3fox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkalouver
When I see an incident like this(and many others), I understand that I am the kind of pilot who could definitely make the same mistake. Therefore, I try to figure out a procedure that is most likely to prevent it from happening again.

I like to share my solution on what can be done to prevent a situation like this. I guarantee you, they didn’t use my method. Those who do use my method will most likely prevent what happened that night in JFK.

We know why they crossed the wrong runway. Because they didn’t confirm that the runway they were cleared to cross was the runway they were crossing. If one already has a personal procedure to ensure that the the runway they just heard a clearance to cross matches the hold short markings and to always question any discrepancy, it will go a long way toward preventing this sort of error.

The similar procedure that is now widely used to prevent wrong runway/taxiway takeoffs seems to work well as we rarely hear about it anymore.

What the pilots said after the incident is not really relevant except to prove what we already knew…..that they were confused.

In a certain way, it really doesn’t matter why they were confused(in terms of the validity of this procedure). The procedure is based on the reality that pilots become confused sometimes for a variety of reasons and this is the safety net.
I think confused is the wrong word here. That implies they weren't sure what was happening and/or where they were going etc. I think the PF was sure about where he was going, he was simply wrong. That's very different from being confused. In these situations, no matter how good a process is, the brain is very good at convincing you, you are doing the right thing and will wash over the best of processes.

I agree a good solid process, like the one you described, helps reduce deviations and provides a safety net and although we don't know what process was being followed that night, I agree it likely wasn't yours but even yours will get circumvented at some point. If say it's too complex, steps will be skipped. If it's not validated, it may hold flaws we don't know about etc..
Good discussion BTW.