PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 106 @ JFK (13 Jan 23)
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2023, 05:02
punkalouver

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Compton3fox
I still think knowing your departure runway before taxi and reading it back is not to be underestimated. I don't know for sure in this case but it seems likely the PF *thought* they were departing 31L, hence my answer to the previous poster. This may explain why he thought he was cleared to cross 4L. I am not convinced your process would solve this as it doesn't address the bias that may override what seems like a solid approach. After all, the actual clearance to cross was clear but was not digested fully by either crew. *my assumption based on what happened next* I am theorising why. You may disagree but we for sure need understand and account for its cause in whatever solutions are put forward.
Knowing your departure runway helps a lot. But there can be other situations such as unknowing becoming lost at an airport can lead to an improper runway crossing. Ensuring one properly identifies a runway that they are cleared to cross will prevent most improper crossings.

We visually verify the proper runway that we takeoff from, using markings/signs. If we see that the markings/signs do not match up with the clearance(and the runway we were planning to use), we do not takeoff. The same thing should apply while taxiing. If we see that the runway markings/signs does not match up with what we were cleared to cross, do not cross.