PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Standby to another freq or monitoring to another freq
Old 10th Mar 2023, 19:10
DIBO

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Talkdownman
... adopted the unofficial "Listen", for it seemed to get the point of it across, and was certainly much more effective that 'standby' or 'monitor'
and it's exactly that verb what's in the clarifications of both CAP & EASA 'Standard Words and Phrases'
MONITOR - Listen out on (frequency).

Coming back to the Ops question, I can't help thinking, 'why keep things simple if we can complicate them'. The description given is in my view vague and debatable.

Originally Posted by CAP&EASA
An aircraft may be requested to ‘STAND BY’ on a frequency when it is intended that the ATS unit will initiate communications soon.
==> BIGJET 347, Standby for Kennington Tower 118.950
An aircraft may be requested to ‘MONITOR’ a frequency when information is being broadcast thereon.
==> BIGJET 347, Monitor ATIS 128.275
As far as I can see, FAA limits it to 'MONITOR' and reserve the 'STANDBY' for.... standing by on the current frequency. Just like CAP&EASA use it in their glossary for: "STANDBY - Wait and I will call you."

-
Not wanting to raise the bloodpressure of Talkdownman, but similar discussions going on for ages, ex. Stand-by for Maastricht? and a funny example I think,
A STANDBY CAMPAIGN AT MAASTRICHT UAC IS CONDUCTED IN ORDER TO REDUCE THE FREQUENCY LOAD AND THE NUMBER OF CROSS-TRANSMISSIONS. THE PHRASEOLOGY 'STANDBY FOR MAASTRICHT ON (CHANNEL-NAME)' CAN BE EXPECTED FOR TRANSFER OF FREQUENCY. PILOTS ARE REMINDED TO ANNOUNCE THEY ARE STANDING BY WHEN FREQUENCY TIME ALLOWS