PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 106 @ JFK (13 Jan 23)
View Single Post
Old 10th Mar 2023, 06:15
Compton3fox

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wiggy

I think the one issue with the controller that appears to be a foul was that it appears (from the recording) that he didn't challenge the lack of runway assignment in the crew readback.
Given the lack a definite departure runway as per previous comments at JFK, ensuring a readback of the Departure runway seems critical. Of course that takes up airtime but never the less, it should always be required.

Originally Posted by SWBKCB
Isn't the key bit here "Cross runway 31L"? Even at the little puddle jumper airports I fly into there are big red signs telling you what the ahead runway is and the holding point.

Surely you would want to visually confirm the identity of any active runway you are about to enter?
Having read the whole thread, i suspect the PF thought they were departing on 31L so was expecting to be cleared to cross 4L and that's where Conformation or expectation bias stepped in. Hence he expected to see 4L, which he did, so he crossed as per the clearance he thought he had. Ironically, being JFK based & very familiar with JFK may make this *more* likely as once he had the departure runway set in his mind as 31L, he knew how to get there in his sleep! If this was an unfamiliar airport to the crew, they would very likely be paying far more conscious attention. My made up term but u get the idea...

Did someone check the runway was clear before crossing? I don't know but that would be a question to ask as I make a habit of checking every runway before I cross. Have I ever not done this? I don't know but I suspect I have based on what I know about how the brian works...