PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SWA 737 Cuba to Ft Lauderdale smoke, engine out, slides deployed
Old 7th Mar 2023, 00:20
fdr

Received 861 Likes on 257 Posts
Smoke n' Oh Too

Ethical, what the responding post was really trying to say is, that:
  • OEM NNCL's and airline SOP's do not direct the use of the oxygen system for smoke events, as their design provides for a "Continuous Flow Passenger Oxygen Mask Assembly" to be dropped down in the event of loss of cabin pressure. The design takes a limited amount of O2 from either a regulated supply air bottle, and meters a limited amount into a bladder that then provides O2 to the user on inhalation, and is designed to have exhalation to atmosphere. The limited flow rate requires the addition of additional air from atmosphere to be able to be drawn in to give sufficient volume of air to meet a high demand, such as when the pax suddenly see a jungle of masks coming out of the overhead, feel the aircraft commence a fairly rapid descent and other wise get a chance to recall what the flight attendants were describing in that interminable period from getting on the plane and getting airborne. The fact that they mix air source means they are of limited to no value in smoke conditions.
  • That the FAA and other NAA's spent considerable time assessing the use of PBE systems for smoke protection, and have generally concluded that they would not be particularly effective for airline use, for the in-flight smoke case, and would likely delay egress of an aircraft in the event of an ground evacuation. To this, I am less convinced, however the airlines also object to the cost, maintenance, and procedural issues related to PBE for the passengers. The cost is not a major factor, small flat pack charcoal activated items that are close to the form factor of a fat surgical mask, with a head cover, small vision area, and activated charcoal filtration and an expulsion valve were available for less than 5USD each, (I used to carry them in my bags 25 years ago for hotel and cabin use...) at present the latest versions are up around 30USD/ea, but take up more volume, and are good for up to 60 minutes purportedly, vs the 20 minutes from the flat pack ones that existed previously. Problem with smoke is, by the time people have reacted, it can be too late to avoid incapacitation to react... But, I carry my own...
  • As far as Texas goes, messing' with Texas is probably a thing of jest, y'all take the lone star seriously, and y'all got guns, lots of guns, big n' small, but mainly, lots of them.

Activated carbon surgical, & N95 type masks are available, and they are cheap, they would however require additional repackaging and control to be provided. Would they work? They do remove CO and other toxic substances, and they also remove particulates. They would give a measure of protection in some cabin smoke conditions.

Soeroso NN, Intan TK, Ichwan M, Fadlurrahman MH, Ananda FR. Four-type of Masks and its Effectiveness Based on Reduced Level of Expiratory Carbon-monoxide. Med Arch. 2020 Oct;74(5):342-345.

Last edited by fdr; 7th Mar 2023 at 03:14.