PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Incursion HNL
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2023, 06:05
hans brinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BFSGrad
No need to guess. The female modifier in my post came about from my initial transcription from ear to paper of the LiveATC audio and carried over to my post. Given the distinctive sound of a single female voice among a group of male voices, “female” was an easy tag to hang on certain radio transmissions to help sort out the key participants.

Note that the NTSB preliminary report uses (by my count) the female pronoun “she” seven times associated with the FO, while there are no uses of he/him to refer to the male participants in the incident. Thus, it’s no secret that the FO was female (I’m assuming here, of course). You’re welcome to contact the NTSB and counsel them how to update their style manual to appeal to the sensitivities of their client base.

Regarding your statement, “sure, it might sound silly to complain about this…,” yes, it does sound silly because it is silly. Let’s all stop the silliness.
"At this time, the FO offered to transfer control of the aircraft to the captain as briefed, and the
captain took control and then used his tiller to begin a left turn onto taxiway K. Information
obtained by the ATC group indicated that about 1609, the LC asked UAL384 if they “got Kilo?”
UAL384 responded, “turn left on Kilo”. The LC instructed UAL384 to hold short of runway 4L and
UAL384 acknowledged the hold short request.
The CA indicated that he was surprised by the hold short instruction since he had told approach
control that they were unable to conduct LAHSO on runway 4R. He indicated that he lost
situational awareness as they exited runway 4R as he thought there was more distance between
the runways than there actually was. He was concerned about getting clear of the landing
runway and was focused on clearing the hold short line between runway 4R and taxiway K."

Maybe read the report again. That is just for the captain, I didn't check the rest of the report.
And the NTSB never said: "the female FO...", They used: "The FO indicated that she landed".
Maybe you don't find that to be different but I have yet to find a pilot who likes to have that tag added.
It is okay to say "she is a pilot", it isn't okay to say "she is a female pilot". Do you go to a "lady-doctor"?