PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway Incursion HNL
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2023, 15:46
UnderneathTheRadar
When you live....

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeGranby
There's an additional remark on the chart supplement that says "WIDE BODY AND 4 ENGINE TBJTS LDG ON RY 04R ROLL TO END OF RY, NO LEFT TURN AT TWY K WO APVL", so it looks like they realize that exiting at K as if it were a true highspeed is going to be an issue. I suspect, as noted above, that once United got the instruction to exit at K, they figured they'd be rolling across the parallel, and by the time the order came to hold short, it was rather too late. From the audio on YouTube, you can sense a bit of hesitation when she reads back the hold short. I rather suspect that SOP for ATC there is not to take heavies off at K unless they do intend to keep them rolling, and the controller messed this one up. I notice again from the audio that while the pilot was asked to copy a number and call for a chat, there was no "Possible Pilot Deviation", at least as I heard it.
The report does not read at all like the controller messed up - the Captain admitted losing situational awareness and that being asked to hold short of a runway whilst taxiing was somehow the same as a LAHSO clearance.