PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Are things getting better?
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2023, 06:09
Speed_Trim_Fail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TogaToFLs
Hi all,

I have been tracking the jobs market for some time and while I finish my ATPLs (and then at some point activate the rest of my training).

Looking on the pilot job websites, first there was an increase in the number of adverts for TR pilots followed by an increase in the time these adverts stay up for. Lately I have been observing the same pattern for Non-Type Rated pilots. All else being equal in terms of the war and economic context, are cadet/second officer positions about to free up as well? Or will Ryanair, Wizz and Smartlynx continue to be the only games in town for non-integrated/mpl cadets in the foreseeable future?

What does everyone think?
Those absolutely are not the only games in town. Blue islands, Aurigny, Isle of Scilly Skybus, some entry level corporate jobs, DHL, Eastern, West Atlantic UK, TUI to name but a few who have taken low houred NTR pilots in the last 12 months. Less well publicised jobs sure and not always direct onto a shiny jet, but there are absolutely operators out there who will bond you for a TR - hopefully if the supply tightens there will be more. Often working in the office or ops room helps - a lot of folks have gotten a chance by being a known quantity internally and will be on the TR before an advert has even gone out.

Edit: I have personally known several wet CPL pilots get jobs recently, none were integrated and all were modular. All got a salary as an employee and a bonded TR from day 1. Modular is a fantastic training option not least because it can provide some very good networking opportunities as you train as well as being more flexible and cheaper - the candidate matters far more than the training route. What all did have in common was that they all had worked in ops/office roles or had impressed an already employed pilot to get an internal recommend.

Things would get better quicker and stay better if people didn’t shell out for their own Type Ratings or Line Training or accept contracts where they are unpaid but get “a hotel room and breakfast”.

Absolute best of luck in your search.

Last edited by Speed_Trim_Fail; 24th Feb 2023 at 06:39.