PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2023, 09:09
NoelEvans

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ehwatezedoing
I have hard time gasping the PF not noticing prop's levers position (Assuming that's what happened)
The PF was flying a left-hand visual circuit in the turn from base onto final, so it is not unreasonable for the PF to be looking outside to the left, while the "prop's levers" were inside to the right. Also, there would have been no reasonable 'need' to question the position of the propeller condition levers at that stage in normal circumstances. Good 'check/confirm' SOPs could have brought that attention 'back inside' and notice that the flaps had not been selected but that 'something else had been'.

There have been many, many cases of the wrong controls being moved. I know (second hand) of a few, including: hand moving to the flap lever when "gear up" called after take-off (but stopped short by an observant PF); fuel lever moved to shut-off when landing flap called for (which resulted in a single engined landing, without that final flap selection!). In both those situations the PM was the captain.

Add to that the situation of the trainer ('instructor') being in the different seat from 'normal' where everything is 'the other side'. Add to that fatigue. That was the fourth sector that day, how many had already been flown in the preceding few days and at what sort of start times or length of day? Don't be too critical of mistakes that people may make in situations like that unless you fully understand the circumstances that they were in. Or the circumstances that their work requirements had put them in. I have only known one airline that restricted the total amount of a trainer's workload that can be training. The extra workload on its own is fatiguing and being worked up to 'normal' fatigue expectations pushes this too far. There may be other airlines that also recognise that -- I hope so.