PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer overhead Cape Town
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2023, 11:42
GeeRam

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by teeonefixer
Good point Chevvron. Medium to high time airframes will have an extensive inspection burden in the wing lower front spar (especially wing rib connection at stn 80 and 110 from vague memory) and the Fin attachment bolts amongst others. But isn't one of their airframes one of the fleet that wasn't a "yellow Peril" (XW986-8)? The SAAF must have been well versed in this (despite embargoes) as they had appropriate inspection holes on their aeroplanes I had a look at in Museums a while ago. However, the availability of spares, general condition of the airframe and systems plus servicing capability will be foremost. The accident report for the Lightning certainly puts a doubt on the latter.
Given the SAAF used them, there should still be some old knowledge base floating around, and there was I believe a good stash of ex-SAAF spares out there, this new outfit probably have a chance of flying the Buccs again at least....maybe, if they are professional enough.
I think there is zero chance of the 3 x Lightnings and the Hunter ever flying again though. I've heard the Hunter is now in quite a poor state, which is a shame, as it was an ex-Black Arrows airframe, and had been one of the few remaining airworthy F.6's.