PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Buccaneer overhead Cape Town
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2023, 11:27
chevvron

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by teeonefixer
Good point Chevvron. Medium to high time airframes will have an extensive inspection burden in the wing lower front spar (especially wing rib connection at stn 80 and 110 from vague memory) and the Fin attachment bolts amongst others. But isn't one of their airframes one of the fleet that wasn't a "yellow Peril" (XW986-8)? The SAAF must have been well versed in this (despite embargoes) as they had appropriate inspection holes on their aeroplanes I had a look at in Museums a while ago. However, the availability of spares, general condition of the airframe and systems plus servicing capability will be foremost. The accident report for the Lightning certainly puts a doubt on the latter.
All 3 were delivered to Farnborough in 'yellow peril' colours by my late great mate Terry Adcock (took me up in Hunter '321 one day; no 'g'suit or mae west!) but only one ('987 I think) stayed at Farnborough and the other two used to inhabit West Freugh and HOSM.
When Ark Royal (?) paid off, we got 2 more Buccs, one being XV344 and the other one was written off by Terry when he was avoiding a German Police helicopter in Germany; pulled 9g and the tailplane came off!