PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nepal Plane Crash
View Single Post
Old 16th Feb 2023, 20:01
pattern_is_full

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Little war story: On one of my first fights in a small aircraft (just before I began my own training), at the completion of the 150nm cross-country we ended up a bit high on final.

The newly-minted (and thus very current in training) pilot in the left seat reached over to pull back the C152's throttle and reduce power. Which he did very successfully - the engine and prop stopped altogether. He had grabbed and pulled the MIXTURE knob all the way back. Despite it being 1) screaming RED in color, and 2) having a push-button lock to prevent inadvertent movement.

At which point the excess altitude became very useful - as we glided to a perfect touchdown on the runway.

Pilots at all levels of experience can do (and have done) the darndest things. Which is why, whenever I see an argument that "No pilot would ever......," I carefully fold it four ways and deposit it in the trash-basket.

Had we crashed, the investigators would no doubt have found the mixture lever at cutoff, just as the investigators here found the condition levers at feather.

There may be two condition levers - but they are intentionally set very close together (cheek by jowl), because they are usually moved as one to maintain symmetrical engine conditions.