PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Continental Engine AD - Big Troubles?
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2023, 00:07
EXDAC

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by ShyTorque
I’ve been rebuilding engines (mainly air cooled motorcycle types) since the early 1970s and have always been aware that the side of a circlip with the sharp edge should be the thrust bearing side. They don’t come with instructions! A good example is those holding gudgeon (wrist) pins in pistons. The last thing you need is a loose clip and the end of the pin scraping the bore. The rounded edge of the circlip can ride up the (square edged) groove and pop out the same way it was incorrectly put in. Wire circlips are different in that they have rounded grooves.
"How to Install Internal Circlips
The following steps outline the process for installing internal circlips:
  1. Begin by choosing a pair of internal circlip pliers which fit into the circlip end holes
  2. You should then fit the plier tips into the holes on the ends of the retaining ring to be installed
  3. Squeeze the handles to close the circlip plier handles and contract the circlip to the desired size
  4. Guide the ring into the circlip groove and release the pliers
Once again, it is important to take the smooth and rough sides of the circlip into account when completing the installation. Internal circlips should always be installed with the smooth side facing the part and the rough side facing outwards in order to help guard against the possibility of damage."

ref - https://uk.rs-online.com/web/content...circlips-guide

Not clear to me if there is agreement here or disagreement. I've worked on a few motor cycle engines (mostly BSA 650) and a few car engines and gear boxes. I don't think I ever paid any attention to circlip facing direction but I always ensured they were fully seated.

The TCM mandatory service bulletin does not require removal of circlips to check face orientation. It only requires a check for seating and angular orientation. They don't seem to think face orientation is important.