PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A new concept: air transport operations that are not air transport operations
Old 13th Feb 2023, 06:16
Mach E Avelli

Received 169 Likes on 107 Posts
I consider my mastery of English to be at least average for a native speaker, ie AELP Level 6. Once upon a time I even had at least average knowledge of Air Law in multiple jurisdictions.
But I have great difficulty following CASA’s replies above, and much of their legislation in general. I have no problem understanding FAA, NZCAA, PNG CASA etc, but I know that I would fail Aussie Air Law/IREX and indeed probably would fail a thorough oral for reissue of a simple IPC. Fortunately for the flying public, I had the good sense to retire before my regulatory ignorance led to a major disaster.
If the language requirement for Australian aircrew is AELP 4 (can order a cup of coffee, read a parking ticket and hit on that cute guy/gal at the bar) then all the ‘rules’ that attract a penalty should be written so that pilots at AELP 4 can understand them. Lots of short sentences with no double negatives, split infinitives or “notwithstandings” would be a start.