PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AA 106 @ JFK (13 Jan 23)
View Single Post
Old 12th Feb 2023, 16:18
ATC Watcher
Pegase Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
@ WillowRun6-3
Second, I think there is a fair question - possibly even an important question - about what meaning to take away from both incidents, whether looked at as only quite marginally related or connected to each other - or as connected in some as yet-undefined manner beyond being in close temporal proximity.
For me they are not related and are both very different in nature. One JFK was crew related was saved by a back up ( which you call reserve ) system : the ASDE which alerted the controller of the runway incursion.
The secondi ncident in Austin was ATC related and was not saved by any back up. I still maintain good luck saved the day. Not by any action by any of 3 parties involved, and not by an external factor like in JFK , since there is no ASDE in Austin .

The only possible ( emphasis on possible) common feature in both cases would be ATC staffing .Things like how long were the controllers on duty on the day and the days before, were they working alone where there should have been two, etc..there the FAA migh have to look at themselves.
The pace of R/T delivery on both cases , too fast in one , too slow and sounding tired in the other might give a clue. But I am fully speculating here.
​​​​​​​
Another issue coming from the Austin case is standard phraseology , totally disregarded by all 3 participants. If I was the US regulator I would definitively have a serious look at this. As should the correct phraeology had be used , that would have been a safety layer ( what you call reserve) that could have saved the day in a far better way..