PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Normalisation of deviance in QF IR.
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2023, 19:01
Sunfish

Received 89 Likes on 32 Posts
JaimeeMaree:
Unlike the engineers/ ground staff who worked in the overhaul shop: At 3.30 pm, the equivalent of the local olympics would take place as they ( a lot of them) sprinted, yes sprinted, out of the workshop, clocked off, across the pedestrian crossing, through the turnstiles, up the ramp to their carpark. I suspect the motivation for this was to beat the traffic.
By your obvious contempt for the engineers, you have just demonstrated the yawning gulf between management and staff. You must be horrible to work for.

‘’Let me explain it to you; the non tie wearing, dirty handed workers on the floor that you despise indeed have to clock on and clock off. They are paid an hourly rate, period. They have to line up, like serfs, at the end of the day, behind the turnstiles, and wait for the bell to ring before they can clock off and go home. If they are late for work, even by a minute, in my day we were fined fifteen minutes wages. The rigid “clock on / clock off” system demonstrates that their only value to the company was the hours they supply. If more hours were needed then you paid overtime. There was SFA incentive to “do that little bi extra’.

‘’Meanwhile, while the engineers are standing patiently in their queue, you salaried types who don’t have your hours measured, are sashaying in and out making small talk with the security guards, or going out for coffee. What was worse in some establishments was that the management car park was inside the security fence. When you were queued up waiting for the bell on Friday afternoon, you got to watch the bosses drive past you like lords of creation, while we were getting ready for the hundred yard sprint to the muddy car park in the rain…

Been on both sides, most talk about “extra effort”, “work ethic”, etc. is just management crap. You won’t be thanked, le lone rewarded for extra effort. In fact senior management, seeing two people do the work of four, often responds by cutting staff.

‘’The bigredrat is spot on.