PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Normalisation of deviance in QF IR.
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2023, 04:40
43Inches

Received 419 Likes on 231 Posts
Again we are not talking aviation, Aviation is the worst working conditions out of most white collar jobs I know, what we were comparing to was outside of aviation. In retail a manager is paid somewhere around 3 times a floor worker, in aviation the equivalant is paid maybe a few thousand more, not even double. The reward for management and office positions is pathetic in aviation for all airlines, which why corporate positions that are not the top jobs are in constant turnover. Too much stress, not enough support, not enough pay. Unfortunately I've worked for enough airlines to see they all have the same issue, not enough staff in those positions paid too little to retain.

To put it in perspective a store manager at Coles is paid in excess of $100,000 depending on store size up to $200,000. They also get access to a number of perks. That is the equivalent of a base flight ops manager, flight attendant manager, ramp or airport base manager etc. They also get underling assistants and such to help them do their job, shift managers, department managers, all cascading down so the upper managers workload is not huge. In aviation management you are usually solo, handling the jobs of several people on pay for one.

PS if you think work ethic means working for free, just because the boss won't give you the time or resources to do it properly there's no saving you, and all you do is pay for more bonus to the AJs of the world. The common theme for office work is now less hours but more intense work during those hours to allow more free time. Talk about moving to 3 and 4 day weeks (although I'm yet to see it en-masse), the old happy workers are productive workers etc.... Aviation is still in the 1950s.

Last edited by 43Inches; 10th Feb 2023 at 05:07.