PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopters mothballed without seeing any service.
Old 7th Feb 2023, 21:51
Baldeep Inminj

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Yes, 412 contract has run it's course. The H135's that are mothballed are (I believe) ones that were 'sold' from MFTS at Shawbury to be replaced by more H145. This is because some complete morons (Ascent) thought they were suitable for rearcrew training, which they clearly are not. As a result, they also completely unsuitable for SAR Ops on 84 Sqn.

It has been well known for decades that SAR in Cyprus is surprisingly tricky, with glassy seas, horrendous storms and serious performance issues whilst live winching in the hills at altitude. I am very glad to see that the new Puma crews that are going to 84 are first going to 202 for a proper SAR course with overwater, wet winching and deck training as per the old SAR course, emergencies whilst live winching etc - the things that the ex-SAR crews on 84 all had, and which kept them alive. It takes a long time to learn and years to master. They will be doing the SAR role, so they need the skills to achieve the job and to stay alive.

Oh sorry, I forgot myself for a moment - of course they aren't. A quick winching famil and they are off. I appeal to the wives/partners of the 84 Sqn crews - when they splash a Puma in glassy conditions or at night, ask the Coroner what SAR, overwater, low reference training they received, because the military know it is a requirement for safe operation, but won't pay for it.
Puma to Cyprus - sure, I have no issue with that, but the Military are rapidly forgetting the skills required to operate safely over water, low references - it kills people. There is a unit at RAF Valley (202 Sqn) that still retains some true experts from the SAR days - for the love of God, use them properly and train properly, if not the consequences will be squarely on the heads of thiose that chose the easy option.

The MoD have a unit that can properly train all crews going to 84 to ensure they have a chance to survive the surprisingly dangerous environment they are going to, but they won't use it properly.

202 Sqn should train, test and approve every single aircrew member for Cyprus. Anything else is a dereliction of Duty by 22 Gp, JHC and the MAA.
The following 2 users liked this post by Baldeep Inminj: