PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 5th Feb 2023, 07:59
jimjim1

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveReidUK
I was amazed to find out recently that one of the Mk 3s that I flew at Arbroath in April 1969 survived there until at least 2012, supposedly "under restoration", and may even be still extant:
That's amazing. I was at Arbroath for the A&B likely March/April 70. I can't exactly recall and when I went to look at the certificate, which I have stored carefully, it is absent!

I did get a severe telling off. I had done 20-ish dual + 1 solo at Ouston on the T.21 and was unable to complete the course at that session.

Months later I am on the Mk 3 at Arbroath for a complete new course, 20 + 3. On one of my first dual landings I gently opened the spoilers as had been routine on the T.21. As I recall I was a bit high on finals which is no bad thing, gently applied a small amount for a short while, retracted them and then landed uneventfully. The landing would have been fine without the spoilers too, just a bit further up the field. Well, it was uneventful until after the run out. I then got a bit of an ear bashing. No more spoilers

Use of the spoilers had not been mentioned and I knew about enough to get into trouble.

It was very noticeable that the Mk3 had poor performance vs the T.21. As I recall, 3 minute flights vs 4+ on the T.21. Solo in 1 hour of flight vs 1 hour 20 mins

I didn't know it had all stopped until I read it here.