PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet MPL
Thread: EasyJet MPL
View Single Post
Old 1st Feb 2023, 23:57
TayBee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VariablePitchP
Imagine you got your licence today, height of the hiring wave. Your options are to fork out 30K for a Ryanair type rating, or get bonded with Wizz. Ryanair would be infinitely preferable there but that assumes you get in, and they have a thing about their bespoke APS, more money… Get into Wizz and it’s just a race to 500 hours to get elsewhere.

At least with Ezy you’ve got a career airline if you want it.

Plenty of anti MPL sentiment, there has always been anti MPL sentiment, from the same sorts that often shout people down for using question banks rather than bothering to commit to memory the modal phase difference between conjunctive NDB transmitter frequencies.

If you’d have graduated with an ATPL in 2020 you’d have been equally screwed, there seems to be this myth that they all got jobs. NO ONE got jobs. At least with Ezy they’ve all been taken back on and when it’s all said and done will be on 130K as captains within another 4 to 5 years. Not too shabby all things considered.
To me it feels like the choice between having the nagging thought in the back of my mind that I might not get hired after I get my fATPL, or that EZY might not want me before I finish my MPL and TR.
Which one of those thoughts is worse, I'm not entirely sure. It has always alarmed me that if I were dropped as an MPL I'd have spent 100% of my liquid assets on a program that doesn't transfer, whereas if I'm not hired with an ATPL, it's a pain in the backside but at least I can keep it ticking over whilst I wait - at moderate expense I'm sure, but at less expense than starting again off the back of a self funded MPL.

I do wonder though whether maybe more faith is required on my part in the likelihood of easyJet retaining all of their MPLs: perhaps time for a month or so of reflection and then re-evaluating whether to apply to their program given I want to work for easyJet, or whether to do an fATPL anyway and afford myself a lot more latitude.

I dare say if easyJet are hiring all their MPLs then other airlines will be hiring up fATPLs (and I imagine there not to be an extreme surplus in the UK); so perhaps there isn't a 'wrong' choice anymore, rather just different paths to the same result.