PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EasyJet MPL
Thread: EasyJet MPL
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2023, 11:55
TayBee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
See to me, if EZY had truly learned lessons from COVID that in any way benefitted their MPL students, then to me that means they would now afford some protection to them such as some guarantee that you would be employed by the airline. As far as I'm aware, the contract still places the entire risk onto the student, so the only lesson I see learned is that their MPL will continue to be saturated regardless of covid.

If they were training, say, 30 cadets like TUI, I'd be very inclined to agree with you - but we are talking 200 per year. When the recession takes hold, whilst I'm sure EZY will weather the storm their expansion plans will probably reduce; and if no airlines are hiring, where is the outflow of pilots beyond FOs getting command upgrades as they retire?

If you are right that the recession won't affect pilot recruitment, then I stand by my initial statement that the flexibility afforded by an fATPL puts one in a much safer position - it is far less risky to have to wait for 6 months or so than to have spent everything on your MPL which lacks flying hours and 'await further instruction' from your provisional employer.

Maybe I'm just too cynical or naive when it comes to what airlines' PnLs will look like over the next couple of years, and how the likes of EZY would react; but I personally can't see the appeal of present knowing if I started my MPL now I'm hoping EZY have the desire to type rate and train >300 pilots and then me. And that is coming from someone who would in an ideal world very much like to work for EZY. If you have some strong evidence it's a secure route to employment over the next 2 years, perhaps I too should re-evaluate!