PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Cadet Gliding pix in the 80s (pre glass)
Old 30th Jan 2023, 22:53
POBJOY

Received 79 Likes on 27 Posts
There must still be a 'lesson to be learned' from that (simple but safe) training system 'that was' that could solo a non selected youngster in just over an hours actual flight time** without prescribed classroom work or a set of 'pilots notes'.
I look back in wonder how it 'just worked' and of course when the mainstream RAF cottoned on to the fact that these 'volunteers' were operating without an actual classroom scenario it must have been a bit of a shock.
I know the machines were simple, but did it happen because no one told us it would not work like that. Anyway work it did until someone reinvented the wheel and it fell off. Perhaps it was to do with the activity that made it happen with lots of hands on involvement so you got used to seeing others seemingly getting on with it without much fuss. As an exercise in youth decision making I really think it was incredible and something that stayed with you for ever. I also think that todays 'managers' would be better off given the chance to go through that system that gave us the opportunity to self develop at the right time in life.
** including cable breaks
The change to the raspberry ripple scheme looks dreadful and the safety goggles a joke. At least the MK 8 looked the part even if they were not really needed (other than for photo's) and went well with a soapy hat.