PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA flights stopped. FAA computer outage.
Old 28th Jan 2023, 00:16
ethicalconundrum

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MechEngr
The FAA is on schedule to adopt the ICAO classification schema by 2024. However, it turns out that the IACO has its own problems with an even larger lack of uniformity, so that's about all that is getting copied.

The most interesting part of NOTAMs is the FAA isn't solely responsible for originating the messages, which is where the lack of uniformity starts. The airport operators are in the lead and they send these out to cover their butts.

This is the likely reason the legislation, put up by at least 2 reps, died, even though that one passed the house.

I had a larger writeup but quit it because the legislators are behind the actual curve the FAA is working on.

https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig..._Operators.pdf
https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flig...eronav/notams/

From the latter:

Look - there's already a task force. Stauber and Graves can sign up.

Pete Stauber has submitted a new one - https://www.congress.gov/bill/118th-...%5D%7D&r=1&s=1 Looks like the same thing, different date.
As an airport manager, I would like to spread some knowledge on how the NOTAM system works(or actually fails to work) from the other side(submitter). Every 15-26 months, a contract inspector comes to my airport, and inspects it for all operational equipment, and anything related to safe operation on the airport, even if we aren't responsible for it. Example, There are two power poles about 400' from the threshold of one runway, and 8 deg off center. Are they a hazard to navigation? Not to me, I know where they are and I know not to make a low and off-center approach. The poles are pretty easily visible, as they have a yellow band at the top. However, each inspection the power poles are noted on my inspection with height, location, and distance from the threshold.

Now, since the inspector makes a report, and notes these poles they have become a 'hazard'. So, I have two choices. I can NOTAM the poles, or I can remark them in the operation notes of the airport master record. In fact, I'm supposed to do both. I didn't have a choice as the inspector will submit the inspection to the FAA, and then it's cast in stone, and I can't do anything about it from a reporting standpoint. I've contacted the utility, and they tell me they will move them, but unless I pay for it, they will do it on their schedule, and I have to wait. These poles are not on my airfield, there's nothing I can do about them myself.

I don't want to NOTAM them as I don't think they are a factor for anyone with more than 8 working brain cells that would make an off-center, very low(65 feet) approach. But - it could happen so not reporting them to the NOTAM people leaves me in the "well, why didn't you report the poles" in case some jackass hits them. I mean, seriously, the poles are only 4 feet from the edge of the road, and yet no driver would hold the city or county or property owner liable if they smashed into them with a car, so WTF about a plane hitting one and blaming me? So, every 6 months, I write an email renewing my NOTAM for the poles. I don't want to do it, and I don't have to do it, but the FAA is going to come along and give me **** about it, unless I have the removed or leave them and publish the NOTAM.

I want to take a chain saw over and do the deed, but there's another liability for me if I do the right thing. Trust me, we have enough paperwork to do without make-work developed by the FAA and their contractors.