PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Instructors with attitude problems
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jan 2023, 21:34
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
I was a qualified RAF instructor on both fixed and rotary wing. I needed to do some refresher and recency flying on a SEP before taking the civvy CPL check ride. I had well over 1,000 hours on SEP, much of it as an instructor but hadn’t regularly flown a fixed wing for the previous three years. At the flying school I was given an instructor who was also RAF qualified (probably done for that very reason). It soon became obvious that we weren’t going to get on for long. All I felt I needed to do was to be allowed to settle in and relearn the attitudes and power settings needed to be able to fly accurately enough to satisfy my future examiner. However, even after a couple of trips where I felt I’d flown well enough to prove that I wasn’t going to kill us both this instructor just wouldn’t stop talking when I was flying. It was non stop. I couldn’t concentrate and discussed this with him in the debrief. Next flight up he was just the same, if not worse. I again asked him to desist and just let me get on with it but he became quite defensive and angry. I told him that I wanted to land off the next approach because I’d had enough. He told me that we WOULD be continuing! I told him that he had control because I wasn’t learning anything from him. He landed in a huff and immediately began to tell me that he was the instructor and knew best. I told him that I wouldn’t be flying with him again, got out, sought out the CFI and told him the same. I changed instructor; he was a retired group captain and far better to fly with! I thankfully passed my check ride a few days later.
The following users liked this post: